Moving is extremely stressful, and the packing process can seem interminable. However, there are a lot of ways to make the process a lot easier on yourself so that all of your stuff arrives safely and is easy to unpack. Here are five ways to pack properly for a home move.
- Organize by category, rather than by room. When you are moving to a new home, you don’t want to start packing one room at a time, you want to pack by category. Your new home will probably have a very different layout than your old home, so it will be easier when you unpack if you can find things by category. Plus, it will be easier to make executive decisions when you look at say, the brown coat in the hall closet versus the brown coat in your bedroom closet.
- Make piles and dispose of as much as possible. The best way to cut down the cost of your move is to get rid of as much stuff as possible. It’s amazing what you can accumulate over the years, and there’s a good chance that you don’t need a great majority of your current possessions. This is why it’s important to make a pile for things you want to keep, a pile for things you want to donate, and finally, a maybe pile for each category that you pack. Once you start filling up piles, it will be easier to decide whether or not those maybes are really necessary.
- Label everything. When you hire a moving company, like Astronaut Movers, LLC, you will want them to know if a box is filled with fragile items, like dishes. You may even want to write on the box that nothing should be placed on top, to reduce the risk of crushing. Not only that, but when they move the boxes into your new home, you’ll want them to know what to place in the kitchen, the bathroom, the bedroom, etc.
- Wrap all fragile items in bubble wrap. When you are boxing up all of your fragile items, you want to be sure to really protect everything with bubble wrap. You can even find bubble wrap that is sticky on one side, which makes it easier to stack dishes and keep things neat and organized. You want to be sure that everything is kept snug in the box so that when the moving truck is shaking and bouncing on the highway, you don’t have any loose items moving around in there.
- Pack all the essentials in suitcases. Finally, you want to pack a couple of suitcases, as if you were staying at a hotel for a few days, because that’s what your new home is going to feel like initially. This is especially the case if the movers are not arriving at the same time as you. In any case, it will likely take quite some time to get everything unpacked, and in the meantime, you’ll want to know exactly where to find your socks, underwear, and toothbrush.